Florida's Extreme Heat Safety Tips
As summer approaches, it is time to consider safety precautions for extreme heat in the coming months in Central Florida. Heat affects all people, but especially the young, elderly, sick, and overweight. As Florida residents, we have a greater chance of being chance of being affected due to the high temperatures and humidity. There are several things you can do to prepare for and prevent extreme heat from affecting you and your family.
Prepare Your Home
- Install windows air conditioners snugly; insulate if necessary.
- Check air-conditioning ducts for proper insulation.
- Install temporary window deflectors (for use between windows and drapers), such as aluminum foil-covered cardboard, to reflect heat back outside.
- Weather-strip doors and sills to keep call air in. This can also help keep your electric bill down in the summer months.
- Cover windows that receive morning or afternoon sun with drapes, shades, awnings, or louvers. (Outdoor awning or louvers can reduce the heat that enters a home by up to 80 percent.)
- Keep storm windows up all year.
Prepare Yourself Before Going Outside
- Wear loose-fitting, light-colored clothing
- Be sure to apply sunscreen
- Wear sunglasses
- Stay hydrated and limit alcohol and caffeine intake on those days.
- Be aware and pay attention to signs of Heat exhaustion
If possible, limit your time outside on extremely hot days and stay indoors in the air conditioning. Be sure to check on your pets who may be outdoors or bring them inside. Staying hydrated will help you from experiencing heat exhaustion. Heat exhaustion can lead to heat stroke, which is life- threatening. Signs of heat stroke are high body temperature (103+), rapid and strong pulse, and possible unconsciousness.
DID YOU KNOW? On average, heat is the number one weather-related killer in the United States.
About your local SERVPRO of Osceola County in Central Florida
SERVPRO of Osceola County specializes in fire, water, and mold remediation. Our highly trained technicians are restoration professionals that use specialized equipment and techniques to properly remediate your home quickly and safely. We service the residents of St. Cloud, Kissimmee, Celebration, Four Corners, and Champions Gate. Contact our office staff if you have any questions about water or mold damage in you home or business area. Schedule a FREE Assessment at 407-933-0707